Friday, June 11, 2010

Of Mice and Men


"Of Mice and Men"
By: John Steinbeck, 1937

In this story we follow George and his mentally challenged friend, Lennie, through a journey of friendship, commitment, loneliness, hope, and loss. Several questions are raised throughout this journey. One question that was raised for me is 'Is it really worth it to sacrifice your dreams for someone who needs you?'. We find George, a man full of hopes and dreams of his own, feeling as if he is being held back by his friend, Lennie, who travels with him from place to place. If it were not for Lennie getting them kicked out of every town that they went to (due to his peculiar, misinterpreted behavior) then George would be able to settle somewhere and live the good life. This is how George sees things anyway. At least until that day....when in a split second everything changed....

This is another fast read. I read this easily in no time seeing as how it's only about 100 pages. I really enjoy John Steinbeck's writing style, particularly in this story because it is written mainly in southern dialect, which I enjoy due to being raised in the south. I wonder, however, if it is difficult sometimes for a northerner, being not familiar with southern dialects, to interpret exactly what is being said at times in stories like this. I would enjoy hearing a northern perspective on this ;)

I thought that this story was well written and flowed wonderfully throughout. I was never left bored. Lennie is one of the sweetest, most loving characters I've ever encountered. I fell in love with him instantly. Reading this story just makes me want to be a better person overall. It makes me want to treat others better and try to be more understanding and patient.

The ending was terrific and unexpected! It tied the whole story together so well. Everything just seemed to go full circle. I will say, however, that I feel as if the last two sentences in the story really should have been left out. I felt that by adding them it almost left some loose ends and unnecessary questions as to "What exactly did that mean?". I do know, however, that what was said was there for a reason. I just must not have caught exactly what that reason was....But I mean really...who am I to question John Steinbeck's writing? He is AMAZING. Overall, I give this book 5 out of 5 hearts. I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment